Better known as Kegs, a boys grammar school with an excellent reputation. In 2012 and 2013, 100% of all pupils attained five GCSEs grade A* to C including English and mathematics. Girls are accepted in the sixth form.
In 2012 they were ranked 3rd in England for A Level results by The Telegraph.
- Broomfield Road, Chelmsford, CM1 3SX.
- Tel. 01245 353510
- Ofsted report: http://dashboard.ofsted.gov.uk/dash.php?urn=136642
KEGS has four houses that are named after some of Chelmsford’s historical figures: Holland, Mildmay, Strutt, Tindal.
KEGS has several bands and orchesrtas, including a Senior Orchestra, Cjoir, Wind Band, Jazz Band, Jazz Ensemble and Big Band.
KEGS has excellent sports facilities with 5 rugby pitches, 5 football pitches, 2 cricket squares and 2 artificial wickets, an athletics track and 2 hockey pitches. These excellent facilities, and the onsite gym, are complemented by a specialist fitness suite and PE classroom.
The Fleur De Lys Society
The sixth-form has a debating society that also acts as a charity to raise funds for local organisations.
- John Dee, a mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, geographer, occultist, and consultant to Queen Elizabeth I; author of the English translation of Euclid’s work.
- Joseph Strutt, author of “Sports and Pastimes of the People of England”
- Joe Thomas, who plays Simon Cooper in The Inbetweeners
- Paul Dorrington, guitarist in The Wedding Present
- Alex Dowsett, British cyclist
- Guthrie Govan, guitar virtuoso
- Anthony Marwood, internationally renowned concert violinist
- Grayson Perry, 2003 Turner Prize winner
- Lewis Brindley, YouTube Celebrity
- Mervyn Day, professional footballer and former assistant manager of West Ham United Football Club