The Round Tower Brewery is Chelmsford’s only brewery. It was founded in 2013 by Simon Tippler, who started out with home brewing kits in his garden shed. After three years of teaching himself how to brew he took the plunge and opened a brewery. The first beer brewed was Tippler’s Gold.
- Address: Unit 11a, Robjohns House, Navigation Road, Chelmsford, CM2 6ND
- Tel. 01245 807343
- Web: www.roundtowerbrewery.co.uk
A selection of their beers:
- City Gold 3.6% Crisp, clean blonde beer is fermented with an American yeast and hopped with lots of Columbus and Chinook hops from America and Galaxy from Australia.
- Sandford 4.6% A dark brown beer made with a combination of dark malts, hopped with Columbus and fermented with an American yeast
- Crompton 4.4% A chestnut brown, well hopped beer made with a selection of malts and Aurora and Bobek hops
- Stout 4.2% Made with 8 different malts, this stout is complex and rich. Winner of ‘Beer of the Festival’ Chelmsford & Mid Essex CAMRA Winter Festival 2013
- Lamarsh 4.4% Golden beer made from a malt base of pale and extra pale ale malt with small additions of crystal and Munich malts. Hopped with Ella, Summit, Citra & Columbus them dry hopped with plenty of ‘C’ hops
- Lupuline No.2 4.5% A selection of hops from around the world go to make up this well hopped golden beer.
The last brewery in Chelmsford was the Grays brewery, which closed in 1974. Chris ‘Podge’ Pollard, chair of Chelmsford and Mid-Essex CAMRA, visited the brewery and gave it the thumbs up, saying: “There’s a huge demand for good beer in Chelmsford. Niche and artisan brewing has really grown in recent years so it’s great to see that happening in Chelmsford now”.
Simon Tippler always enjoys making his own chutneys and jams, and he also grows his own vegetables.