The Round Tower Brewery is Chelmsford’s only brewery. It was founded in 2013 by Simon Tippler, who started out with home brewing kits in his garden shed. After three years of teaching himself how to brew he took the plunge and opened a brewery. The first beer brewed was Tippler’s Gold.
A selection of their beers:
- City Gold 3.6% Crisp, clean blonde beer is fermented with an American yeast and hopped with lots of Columbus and Chinook hops from America and Galaxy from Australia.
- Sandford 4.6% A dark brown beer made with a combination of dark malts, hopped with Columbus and fermented with an American yeast
- Crompton 4.4% A chestnut brown, well hopped beer made with a selection of malts and Aurora and Bobek hops
- Stout 4.2% Made with 8 different malts, this stout is complex and rich. Winner of ‘Beer of the Festival’ Chelmsford & Mid Essex CAMRA Winter Festival 2013
- Lamarsh 4.4% Golden beer made from a malt base of pale and extra pale ale malt with small additions of crystal and Munich malts. Hopped with Ella, Summit, Citra & Columbus them dry hopped with plenty of ‘C’ hops
- Lupuline No.2 4.5% A selection of hops from around the world go to make up this well hopped golden beer.
The last brewery in Chelmsford was the Grays brewery, which closed in 1974. Chris ‘Podge’ Pollard, chair of Chelmsford and Mid-Essex CAMRA, visited the brewery and gave it the thumbs up, saying: “There’s a huge demand for good beer in Chelmsford. Niche and artisan brewing has really grown in recent years so it’s great to see that happening in Chelmsford now”.
Simon Tippler always enjoys making his own chutneys and jams, and he also grows his own vegetables.
M. Lucking & Sons are one of Chelmsford’s oldest funeral directors; the family run business has been serving Chelmsford for over 360 years.
They provide their services either from their offices or by visiting your home. They are happy to take calls 24 hours a day, 365 days a year; they are always there when you need them.
They conduct traditional burials as well as woodland burials and motorcycle funerals.
They have horse drawn hearses as well as motorised ones. Horses are black or white.
- M. Lucking & Sons. 195 New London Road, Chelmsford, Essex. CM2 0AE
- Telephone 01245 353733
Empire Salons on New London Road is a family run hairdressers that has over 3 generations of experience in hair styling. As well as their London Road salon they also have a men’s barbers shop on Broomfield Road and another salon in Great Dunmow.
The Snip is now over 40 years old and is an exclusive men’s hairdressers on Victoria Road, just opposite Back Inn Time.
It is where World Champion and multi award winning hairdresser Craig Hubert started out.
Photo of The Snip by Carol on Flickr
Craig Hubert now runs his own salon on Rainsford Road. His range of services his huge and he is an expert in all styles and techniques including foiling, parting, T sections. colouring, straightening and other treatments. A great place for Wedding Hair too.
Chelmsford Plumbing and heating are fully approved by Trading Standards.
They are also Gas Safe registered so can install boilers and full heating systems for oil, gas and LPG.
As well as standard plumbing such as fitting bathrooms, kitchens and central heating they can also install swimming pools and renewable energy systems.
- Emergency Out of Hours Service: 07887 653 032
- Customer Service – 8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday: 01245 478588
- Chelmsford Office & Technology Park, West Hanningfield Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 8JT
- Web: http://www.chelmsfordplumbingandheating.co.uk
Toni & Guy is one of the nations most popular hairdressing brands now.
They formed in 1963 two brothers and now have over 400 salons across the country.
The Chelmsford salon is in the centre of town on the corner of Stonebridge and Moulsham Street.